Office 2010, orange icons and KB2589275

Microsoft Office 2010

I’ve had a couple of clients today with an interesting issue, where their Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents all turn orange and do not open when double clicked.

Office 2010 Orange iconsIt seems that the installation of windows update kb2589275 causes the issue. More specifically, the users that I have had affected so far have had Office Pro Plus 2010 installed and it appears that the update adds Microsoft Office 2010 to the Program and Features.

Windows Update HistoryCompare KB2589275 above to the install date of Microsoft Office 2010 below.

Programs and FeaturesI’ve had success in resolving the issue by uninstalling the Microsoft Office 2010 program, leaving the original version installed (preferred method), and also on another machine doing and Office repair on the original installation of Office 2010 Pro Plus. It is also possible to just recreate the file associations to resolve the issue but I think it is much better to just have the proper (intended) copy of Office installed.

If you find this post useful please like, leave a comment or share with your peers. Thanks.

About these ads

18 thoughts on “Office 2010, orange icons and KB2589275

1. Alex Levitsky

I have the same problem, with slightly different details:

1) I had “Microsoft Office Starter 2010 – English” and “Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010″ pre-installed on my personal Windows 7 PC (Installed on 2011-04-12 and current version is 14.0.4763.1000).

2) As part of automatic Microsoft updates, “Microsoft Office 2010″ appeared (Installed on 2013-09-11 and current version is also 14.0.4763.1000).

3) Microsoft Office-related update on 2013-09-11 is “Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589275) 32-Bit Edition” is on the list of “Installed Updates” in “Programs and Features”.

4) “Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2598285) 32-Bit Edition” appears in my update history in “Windows Update” with the same installation date of 2013-09-11. However, this update does not appear on the list of “Installed Updates” in “Programs and Features”.

I wonder if there will be another update from Microsoft to fix this problem.

1. Alex Levitsky

Thank you! Uninstalling Microsoft Office 2010 via “Programs and Features” and restarting the computer has resolved the problem. This solution also removed “Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589275) 32-Bit Edition” from the list of “Installed Updates” in “Programs and Features”.

2. reconjsh

All I had to do was change the default application to the appropriate MS Office application I wanted (Word, Excel, etc.).

3. Maria Gallagher

This threw me into a panic today. I’ve been searching online for a couple of hours for an explanation & a fix. Thank you so much!

4. Blair

I found you can fix the issue on the computer by simply changing the file association for .xlsx and docx files back to the Excel and Word respectively but I would suggest if you planning on installing updates on client PCs you make sure this update doesn’t get applied. It appear in WSUS the update has been unapproved so anyone who patches desktops through WSUS should be fine. Big thing to watch is if you patch through another means of patching.

1. OxfordSBSguy.com Post author

Hi Blair, on WSUS with SBS server on the servers I have seen it looks like it is approved automatically, and if you go into WSUS to make changes you’ll break the component in the SBS console so it can no longer be managed from there. I’ve not checked separately deployed WSUS yet.

5. barry

I have had the same issue since Friday morning.
    I only have the 2010 starter version that came installed on my laptop when I bought it 16 months ago. When I look in programs and features there appears to be a Microsoft Office that was installed on 13th Sep 2013. In the list is also Microsoft Office Starter 2010 and Microsoft Office Click to Run, both installed in March 2012.
    I am ok uninstalling the Office installed a few days ago and then rebooting? I have been scared to do it without some say-so from others more in the no because I don’t want to make the situation worse than it currently is. I rely on excel heavily for things

6. Jeff C

You can uninstall Office 2010 as explained above or you can change the file extension association back to Office starter. Simply right click on an icon with the orange box, select “open with”, “choose default program”, then select “Microsoft office client virtualization handler”. This will need to be done for an excel file, word file, etc, then all the files will revert back to office starter.

So why in the world would Microsoft push out an update that effectively disables everyone’s *free* Office starter? Yeah, that’s a real head scratcher all right. They know the tech savvy will figure out how to get it back but the gullible will think office starter expired and will pony up for Office out of desperation. In a few weeks MS will put out a tech notice explaining the update “error” and how to get starter back. In the meantime, they’ll have millions of new office customers. these guys have no shame.

1. keulie

BINGO!!
      Thank you so much Jeff C – this has been driving me nuts and as a mere layperson I could not figure out the correct procedure.
      I agree with your final para, but if people like you keep pushing out crystalline responses, maybe the good guys can win in the end…

2. J.W.

Thank you, Jeff C. !!! This fixed the orange file folder problem immediately !! I am not very tech-savvy and I spent hours tonight trying to figure it out. I’m so glad I stuck with it and found your post. It was so easy to follow your instructions. Thanks again!
      J. W.

7. pulweril

I have the full Office suite (it’s called “Professional Plus 2010″ in Programs), and there is a version called Microsoft Office 2010 that was installed (unbeknownst to me) on 9/12. If I uninstall that, will everything go back to normal? I don’t want to disable the Office that I already had.